Finished! Nettie's crazy flying geese quilt

>> Wednesday, April 14, 2010

This week's Finished! quilt is one made for and by Nettie, of A Quilt is Nice. Nettie is in the VQB "Bee Insipred" and her month was last May.

She requested blocks based off a Dutchman's puzzle block, but gave her bee members free range to interpret the block however they wanted. She asked for 12.5" unfinished blocks. She sent out some of her stash of Japanese fabrics and hard to find prints. Here's some of the blocks she started receiving:

Bee inspired bloc for Nettie

Block made by kvinta


block made by lydigann


block made by giggle_gear


block made by lharsma

for nettie.

block made by the bee Mama, rachelgriffith

Here's the quilt top when she got it all put together:

>


She blogged about having some reservations about not using sashing between the blocks, but then look how beautifully it came together once it was all quilted and bound!



The binding:



And the back (featuring one block that was hand-sewn together!):



Didn't it turn out cute! I love that she didn't use sashing ... even though I usually like sashing in Bee Block quilts because it really showcases each block individually, I think it worked better in her quilt because it let them all flow and work together!

Here's her post about the finished quilt at her blog.

Thanks to Nettie and the other members of Bee Inspired for letting me feature their blocks and finished quilt today! If you'd like, grab the new "I Was Featured" button from the sidebar to post on your blog!

Tutorial these blocks were based off:

Dutchman's Puzzle block at Quilters Cache.

8 comments:

Kris April 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

Oh wow! This is a great idea and a beautiful result. I love that there isn't sashing, it's just perfect the way it is!

Jenny April 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

just gorgeous...i am all about flying geese these days!

Luv 2 Kreate April 14, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

This is a really great quilt! Love flying geese :)

Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

I love this quilt, it's been a favourite since Nettie posted and I have thought about a similar theme for my turn in a bee. I love the unusual choice of background colour. Just lovely.

How do I get the button code.......are you emailing it?

John April 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

I was part of this group and so happy to have contributed to Nettie's amazing quilt!! The "no-sashing" decision was spot-on, IMHO. I love seeing the finished products of a bee's efforts. Guess I should work on finishing some of my own!

Ann April 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

I was part of the 'bee inspired' group too - what an awsome bee - and it was my first one EVER! Nettie's request challenged me, as I did not dare to move too much away from the tradtional 'Dutchman's Puzzle' block (I have become bloder since then, though!).

This quilt continues to amaze me everytime I look at it :)

Kritta22 April 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

I did the hand sewn one but I think it ended up on the back cuz it wasn't quite 12.5. My only issue with that block.
I'd never done flying geese before and my mom scared me by saying none of hers matched up so I figured I could MAKE SURE they matched by hand sewing it.

I totally love this quilt. It makes me want to finish mine!!

Erin @ Two More Seconds April 20, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

Kritta22 >> I think that yours was put on the back because how AMAZING was it that you sewed it by HAND?!! Trying to match up points or not, that's pretty impressive! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates

Back to TOP