Pick Five Monday: Fat Quarterly edition

>> Monday, May 31, 2010

Ready for a Pick Five Monday special edition?  I've been really loving how these guest posts have been going so I'm going to be continuing that for awhile, and this week we've got the awesome group from over at Fat Quarterly each picking one of their favorite blocks. When Tacha asked me if they could do a Pick Five Monday post, but would I consider making it a Pick SIX Monday since there are six of them - how could I say no?!  These guys are heavily involved in Virtual Quilting Bees and they're pretty much all rockstar sewists.  There's no one else I'd make that exception for other than these six inspiring people.

----------

Katy's Pick: (made by Little Miss Shabby for Stash Busting Bee International)

A postage stamp quilt has been gnawing away at my insides for some time, it's on the list of must do soon quilts. All those tiny squares make me go all quivery and breathless. I actually squeaked when I saw that block the first time. 144 1.5 inch squares. Wow. That has to be the most satisfying way to use up those teeny scraps of favourite fabrics you can't bear to throw away?

Interntational Stash Busting Bee April Block



John's Pick: (made by badskirt - amy for Around the Block)

How to choose? I went through the first 31 pages of the pool and there are so many good ones.

Around the Block - Triangles for Rita



Brioni's Pick: (made by Little Miss Shabby for Stash Busting Bee International)

The kinds of bee blocks i love changes with my moods but this is my absolute favourite at the moment as it ticks all the boxes.
Tiny tiny pieces, lots of all my favourite colours (reds/pinks/oranges), and a dark background which makes the tiny pieces pop. I love that my eyes can't keep still while i'm looking at it, and what a fantastic way to use up all those tiny pieces of your favourite fabrics that you just can't bear to throw away!

Stashbuster Block #2



Kate's Pick: (made by cauchy09 for the Twitter Bee)

Like Brioni my favourite quilting bee block changes on a weekly basis. This is my current favourite.
I love that the white solid keeps the block fresh even though there is quite a lot going on in the center.
Each time I look at this block, I see something that I didn't notice before - can't wait to see it when it is completed!

yet another one for Ms. Frick



Aneela's Pick: (made by badskirt - amy for the Three by Six Sampler Quilt Mini Bee)

I love everything about this block, it's genius. I love blocks that are inventive and everything about this layout is new and original. There's plenty going on in the hexagon and the neutral background and use of white just draw all the attention back to it. So clever and playful in design and the use of colour is perfect.

Three By Six - for danaandthread



Tacha's Pick: (made by Missi Mu for The Beehive)

This is such a great block. So simple and so effective. I love the way the embroidered balloon strings twist around the elephant's trunk. Fantastic.

April Beehive


----------

Thanks you guys, so much!  If you haven't visited them over at Fat Quarterly - make sure you do asap.  They're a blog & eZine with lots of inspiration for modern sewists.  You can buy their debut issue right now at their website.


5 comments:

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) May 31, 2010 at 4:57 AM  

Great picks and that balloon one is just genius. I'd already faved it but hadn't looked closely enough to see the the strings twisting round the trunk. Genius.

ktquilts May 31, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Oh, how could you pick? I love them all!!

Blessings,

KT

Little Miss Shabby May 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

Hey thanks guys for picking two of my blocks! Love those blocks Amy made also--just fab!

missi mu May 31, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

Wow, I am amazed at how many people love my elephant! thanks for choosing my block, I am very flattered.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates

Back to TOP