The Sewing Summit - a modern sewing & blogging conference

>> Tuesday, October 26, 2010

At the end of the post yesterday I said I had been working on something that I hadn't been able to talk about yet - but that we were close to announcing it. Some of you with eagle eyes might have spotted a new button over on the sidebar ... see it?



I'm planning a modern sewing and blogging conference called The Sewing Summit! My friend Amy from Amy's Creative Side and I recognized a need and a desire for this type of event in our community and decided to take on planning it ourselves. There's lots of other quilt retreats, blogging conferences, sewing classes -- but nothing that is exactly quite right for "us".

We're planning lots of stuff to do with sewing: classes on machine quilting, bag making, garment construction, improv piecing; make and take projects, question and answer panels with some of the best sewists in our industry ... but we're also having an online side to it: using social media, participating in online quilting bees and swaps, blogging. We haven't been able to say much online about it yet, but we have been planning it since July and are absolutely bursting with all the great stuff we've got going so far ... it seriously is going to be the best event, and you are not going to want to miss it!

Who's invited? You are! We've wanted from the start for this event to be for the people that sew as well are somehow are involved with the online community (if you're even reading this blog -- that's you!) but might not have lots of friends in their real lives that they can talk to about or sew with. Won't it be awesome to be surrounded by hundreds of other people that you know will squeal in delight with you over the newest fabric line?! Or sit up all night and chat and sew with in our all-night sewing room packed with 50 machines? Or go out to dinner and explore the city with a bunch of your friends that you've been in quilting bees with and have known online for years - but have never met face to face?! Like I said - not going to want to miss it!

It's on the books for October 2011 in downtown Salt Lake City. One of our main goals has always been to keep it accessible for lots of people to attend and so we're trying to give you plenty of time to plan for it both monetarily and time-wise. We hope you'll want to make a girls vacation out of it and come along with a big group of your friends! We promise we've got more awesome details coming soon - but here's a few hints: our venue is a 4* hotel in downtown Salt Lake City with a room rate under $100 per night! swag bags that are going to be filled to the brim with awesome stuff, probably worth more than the ticket price alone (did you see that Moda is a sponsor?!!) Famous sewing and quilting bloggers? Yup, we've got them - some already committed to coming in and we're still on the look out for more!

What can you do? Start saving your fun-money to be able to attend. :] Help us spread the word -- tweet, blog, Facebook about it, and we've got buttons on our blog that you can snag to use in your sidebar. Fill out our survey so we can make sure we know exactly what it is you'd want to get out of an event like this -- because after all, we're planning it for you!

Can't wait to hear what you think!

14 comments:

Terriaw October 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

This is such a fabulous idea! I really want to come to this event, so I'm going to put it on my calendar and start saving. Sounds perfect for all of us sewing/quilting bloggers scattered all over the country. What a great way for us to connect in person! Can't wait to hear more.

Sherri October 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

Sounds like a wonderful idea and event! I'm putting it on my calendar right now!

Holly October 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

Wow! This sounds amazing! How did I only hear about this today? I hope it becomes an annual event!

EG October 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

This sounds fantastic - please let us know as soon as you have the dates nailed down!

Emily October 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

I"m drooling at the thought. Although who knows if I'd be able to go it's pretty far away and probably pretty expensive? How many days are you thinking? Maybe I could ask for that for my birthday next year! :)

Erin @ Two More Seconds October 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

Terriaw - Glad you're excited!

Sherri - hope you can come!

badlandsquilts and EG - it's October 7-9, 2011.

myredbike - we only soft-launched our website a few weeks ago but this is really the first big time we've posted about it in blogland!!

emedoodle - our hope is that it's affordable to lots of people! we're really working hard to make that happen :]

~Laurie~ October 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Just blogged about it!!! I am so glad I am close now (well within driving distance - 14 1/2 hours close!!)

Ali October 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

This sounds great! I blogged about it! I hope I can go. A year is such a long time away...

Unknown October 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

Already trying to decide if I should drive with friends or fly. Any thoughts about sewing machine usage?

Michelle October 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

OH em geeeeee!! Yay! I totally want to go and would love to participate in any way you need! If you are looking for more participants, please let me know! Wait... Sew and ski in the same week?! I AM SOO tHERE!! I'm gonna tell everyone! Thanks for the announcement!

Michelle

Lisa October 26, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

This sounds AMAZING!! I hope I can go!

Rachel at Stitched in Color October 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM  

31 hours away! I would SO love to plan to come to this but it's such a long drive from South Carolina. Ach. Let me know if there's any way I could get involved!

Kaelin November 10, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

1) Thank you guys SO MUCH for planning this...it's a virtual quilter's dream come true!

2) My husband and I are already planning for it and budgeting! I'm gonna register as soon as you open registration early next month...can't wait! I'm trying to talk some of my Flickr friends into going too :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates

Back to TOP