Pick Five Monday: Heather's Nautical edition

>> Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy Monday! This week's Pick Five Monday was written by the adorable Heather from June {Vintage}. She's got some wonderful picks in a great theme. Thanks, Heather!

-----

Hello! I am Heather from over at June {Vintage} and am excited to share five favorites for this week's Pick Five Monday. I {occasionally} run a vintage store on Etsy when I am not busy being a full-time mom to a 3.5 year old ball of energy and a foster mom to some amazing kids. I used to be a police detective but you can now find me hiding out in thrift stores and behind the lens of my camera. I have been head over heels in love with a sailor for more than a decade-which is why this week's favorites are hitting the high seas!

Pick 1: So many things to love about this: the colors of the water + sun...the fussy cut fabric..the patchwork sailboat... so cute!


May - Sailboat in a Log Cabin Block
(credit: PatchworkDuck)



Pick 2: The charcoal with the rich colors of Plume fabric line by Tula Pink provide a perfect color palette to the simple "sails" on this square quilt. There is a lot of nautical themed items out there, particularly for little boys. If we ever have a girl, this option would be a great nursery addition!


Plume Sails
(credit: teaginny)



Pick 3: I love the more traditional repetition of the sailboat pattern on this quilt (it is very similar to a vintage sailboat quilt that I have that was my husband's grandfather's-who was also in the Navy!) However, with the modern fabrics (polka dots!) and the very popular use of a rainbow color arrangement, this quilt is what makes quilting so amazing: a perfect balance of traditional and modern.


Make...Sailboats
(credit: BlueElephantStitches)



Pick 4: Applique, tiny scraps, free motion quilting and one of my new favorite fabric lines (Urban Chik's Dream On): perfection! This isn't a traditional quilt block, but the quilter {Aneela Hoey} made it into a mini-quilt and it is a great combination of some of the most popular modern quilting aspects happening right now...

quilters boat
(credit: Aneela Hoey)



Pick 5: All good sailors use the stars to navigate the vast ocean! Amanda (MrsMcPorkChop) put together this amazing paper-pieced star pattern with fussy cut mermaids...I love, love, love the pop of color on the "horizon" in the corners!


Oregon Star
(credit: mrsmcporkchop)


Thank you Erin for letting me share some of my favorites this week...it sure had me dreaming of salty summer air on this cold, winter day!

-----

Pick Five Monday is a weekly column on the Quilting Bee Blocks blog featuring five of my favorite bee blocks from our Flickr pool. I am currently scheduling guest posters for 2011 to pick five of their favorite blocks and write a post telling us why. Email me for more information on how you can write one!

11 comments:

quirky granola girl February 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM  

mmmmmm.....those are some yummy blocks. i've never seen HST as sails before, but they sure are pretty. :)

sharon February 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM  

Wonderful blocks! Was wondering what happened to the Block tutorials? They are not displaying. Loved the tutorials, hope they return.

Patricia Lessell March 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM  

OMG how on earth could you pick anything from all these lovelies!!! It would be impossible. Just impossible. And you should be so proud of you. You are doing a wonderful job in life. You did before being a police person and now an even more wonderful job being the carer of needy children. If I was your Mother I would be swelling with pride that you were mine that's for sure. But I surely love all these blocks and shall put your blog on mine that's for sure. WELL DONE is all I can say.
Lots of Love
Patti the displaced Yank xxx

susiloci April 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM  

La foto del quilt de los barcos me enamora (las otras no se por que no las puedo ver), es una preciosidad.

Nicole @ Patchwork Duck Designs April 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM  

Thanks so much for picking my block (I made the first one)! I also made a sister block to go with it, which looks like a Pepperidge Farm goldfish cracker. Check it out on my blog: http://www.patchworkduck.com/2011/04/my-quilt-block.html

2ne June 24, 2011 at 4:27 AM  

Nice blocks - and quilt :-)

patchworkdelights July 9, 2011 at 1:47 AM  

beautiful blocks, they are works of art!

paront1222@comcast.net July 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM  

Great blocks.....anyone know of a bee that's looking for another member? I'd love to belong.
Peggy in NJ

Anonymous July 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM  

I get so much incredible inspiration from this blog and the Flickr group as well. I featured you on my blog today with a link to you and your Flickr Group.

http://loveaffairwithmybrother.blogspot.com/2011/07/web-favs-of-week_28.html

Mike Pearson March 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM  

Pick 5 is a good theme for this week. All I hear people talking about is the lottery ;)

Unknown October 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM  

Mmmm, just coming upon your blog, super great! Really love that fussy cut star. I'd love to turn it on it's side and throw a little N S E and W on the corners.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates

Back to TOP